CASANARVA

Narom ara'n Arva, there is Light! Welcome to Casanarva and come join me in my shining, magic world! You have heard of the Seven Seas. If you sail the Eighth Sea, you will come to Casanarva, where touch-telepathic kings rule and Velnar Knights ride unicorn-like shahnarn into battle. For the last 5,000 years Darkness has ruled. Will you serve the Darkness, too, or stand with Etendil ra'n Arva, the prophesied Bringer of the Light? And who is this One foretold? How will we know him when he comes?

Name:
Location: United States

A former librarian, I write fantasy, romantic suspense, and historical novels, some poetry and short stories, articles, book reviews, recipes, and the occasional filler.

Monday, December 31, 2007

The Darkest Hour completed

Well, it has been nearly a year since I visited this blog, but that doesn't signify a lack of progress. I finished The Darkest Hour and started Beacon Burning. I'm still searching for an agent for A Lamp Shining in a Dark Place, which is the first book in the series, and am planning on submitting it over the transom to Daw this coming month as soon as I do yet another reread and get it printed out.

Beacon Burning will need a lot more research than Darkest Hour required, and the story has practically stopped until I can do that, for so much of the plot will depend on what I learn about high altitude living and survival. In a future book I will need to bring an army over Eedora Aylar, the Black Mountains, in winter yet, so I need to get the details worked out properly right now, lest I mess myself up later.

I'm very pleased with Darkest Hour. I think the pacing is strong, and the book introduces characters and places that will become ever more important as the series unfolds and the story moves into the Northern Kingdoms. It is important to me that the reader like my new characters and settings and yet are still able to read about the characters they have come to know and, I hope, to like.

It is a quite different book from Lamp, which is more of an adventure/romance story--a desert journey and a coming home. Dk Hr is more romance and more of an internal adventure as Catreena learns the true meaning of freedom and Saray learns the price of honor (or vice versa!) Both of them are a part of what I might call "The Romance of Catreena and Saray." And both continue the movement of the series from Darkness toward the Light.

We have only a bare glimpse of Etendil ra'n Arva and the mention of his true name in Lamp (yes, it's in there!) , but we get to meet and know him in Dk Hr. And no, I'm not going to tell you who he is. :-) Where I flip the reader's opinion about Saray in Lamp, I have enjoyed doing the same thing on a smaller scale with Yulen in Dk Hr.

I still have to do a map for Dk Hr--another project. And now that I've figured out how to access my blogs without the problems I continuously encountered last year, I will try to keep you updated on my progress. I also need to remind you that Casanarva is a fluid world, and some of the things I wrote about her early history may have to be changed as I learn more about the history and the world. Like all historical research, it is a voyage of exploration and discovery, and the "facts" are subject to change without much notice on the part of the historian and archeologist.

I hope you all had a happy Etendil ra'n Arva Day. Shar ci'n Arva, Walk in Light!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home